455 N. Woods Mill Road
Chesterfield, MO 63017
Phone (314) 415-8100
Parkway planning for cold weather
With temperatures expected to continue to drop over the next few days, we want to let you know a few things we are doing to prepare for the cold weather and share some reminders to help keep students safe and warm.
Following is a letter from the superintendent. If snow or ice conditions warrant closing schools, parents will receive a phone call and/or text message from AlertNow.
With temperatures expected to continue to drop over the next few days, I want to let you know a few things we are doing to prepare for the cold weather and share some reminders to help keep students safe and warm.
Here are some things we do in extremely cold weather:
1. Parkway bus engines are connected to heaters overnight to ensure the buses start and arrive at your child's bus stop on time.
2. To keep schools warm and comfortable when students arrive in the morning, we do not reduce the thermostats overnight as we ordinarily do to conserve energy. This also helps keep the pipes from freezing.
3. Students are not permitted to go outside for recess or gym class.
Here are some things you can do to help us keep students warm:
1. Make sure your child is dressed warmly in loose-fitting layers - this includes gloves, hats, scarves and appropriate footwear.
2. Your Parkway bus should arrive within five minutes of its assigned time. That said, you may wish to let your child wait in a car with you until the bus arrives (or make arrangements for several children to wait together in one car).
3. If your child walks to school, please try to make arrangements for the child to be given a ride to school.
Using the National Weather Service temperature guide, we will continue to monitor the wind chill index in case we need to make any further adjustments to the normal schedule.
Thanks for your help over the next few days to keep all our students safe and warm.
Robert Malito, Ph.D.