Health Room News
Food in Schools
The St. Louis County Health Department has provided the following direction related to food in schools:
Since December 7, 1999 and until further notice:
* Food at parties and other functions in schools is to be limited to commercially prepared, individually packaged treats.
* Food prepared at home is not to be brought into the classroom for sharing.
* Distribution and handling of food is to be limited to teachers and staff. Gloves are to be worn by those serving the food.
* Good hygiene is the simplest and most effective way to prevent the spread of germs.
* Students and staff should practice careful hand washing with soap and water, especially after using the bathroom
and before eating or handling food.
Those measures strictly limit the numbers of different people who touch the food during the preparation and serving. The fewer kitchens/people involved in the preparation of food served, the lower the risk of disease being spread to those eating the food. Understanding and practicing these measures heighten the awareness of all food handlers as to the importance of hands and utensils being washed thoroughly with soap and water to limit the increase of diseases that are spread from hand and hand-contaminated items (food or utensils) to mouth.
[Back to Home Page]